Tuesday, May 16, 2023

J.T. Is runner up

I don’t know what else to say except J.T. Didn’t take state like we all thought he would. He wrestled his heart out and it was a sad ending but I hope he knows how much we love him and win or lose, he is my champion. I will just leave the message I wrote him here to sum up how it went since I really don’t have words to describe the heartbreak he had. But also, he wrestled amazing!! State runner up is pretty good if I don’t say so myself. 

So here is a text I sent J.T.


Son,

Last night was one of the toughest nights you’ve ever had.
This wrestling season, I watched as you defeated armies of young men. I watched you get pins, techs, and wins by points. I didn’t see you lose but two matches all season. You never once got pinned. You were a fighter. And those two losses were from boys in completely different divisions. And those boys said you were the toughest kid they ever wrestled. 
I watched you lift weights, work out, run, run and run. I waited up while you ran at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00 at night and sometimes later than that to prepare. No one else saw. No one else noticed all the extra work you did. You never bragged. You did it quietly because you wanted it. Your team mates didn’t see it. Your coaches didn’t know. But those you wrestled, they noticed. Your family noticed, son, I noticed. I knew how much it meant to you.  You had the heart of a champion. You always will.
Son, I know it hurts. I understand why you have questions. I wish I had the answers. 
But I want to tell you something. 
Boy, you keep your head up. That hard work was worth it. I saw you turn into a man during this season. A true champion. Someone who  learned to do what it takes; to do the hard, the impossible. I saw your guarded heart open up and take a chance on yourself. You became a gladiator, a warrior this season. It was heartbreaking to watch and so so beautiful.
Watching you grow into a confident, strong yet humble young man and then watching you crumble after your loss was too much. It was too much for this mama heart. It took me back to the first time I knew you were coming into this world, the first time I saw your face, the first time you cried and I realized that I would do anything, absolutely anything to take the pain from you…And most the time I could. I could stop the hurt when you didn’t want to grow up, I could stop the tears when you felt alone or if you were hurt. I could kiss it away, make you laugh it away or simply hold you. 
But son, last night was the worst. Not just for you. But for me. I knew when I saw your eyes and saw the look on your face that I couldn’t do anything to make it go away. That you were going to have to do this without me…That I wasn’t enough. And that’s when I knew what and Who you really needed. I knew the only thing I could do was pray that you would see and find your Savior in this moment. That through His grace and love, you could find peace and understanding. Because son, He is enough. He can help with the pain. He’s been where you’ve been. He walked out with you to that mat knowing full well the outcome, and he stayed. He stayed and walked with you when you had to walk off that mat without that champion title. But I guarantee to Him there was no disappointment. Only love and pride in his creation…you. 
I want you to know son, that you can turn to Him when ever you need. You are enough. Your hard work was enough. Your name might not be up on a wall. And that’s okay because your name is written on your Saviors hands and on His heart. And that’s better than any wall.
Keep learning to fly son. Don’t let the wind get you down. Keep climbing son. Don’t let the mountains stop you. Life gets hard. Don’t let that stop you from living. God sent you into this world for a reason and through Him you can do all things. 

Go with God JT. He is the one you need. He is is the only one who loves you more than I love you. Don’t forget my heart and arms are always open for you. I can’t take away your pain like He can, but I can cry with you and I can cry for you. You will always make me proud and just remember, that your hard work was worth it. It made you into who you are right now. Win or lose on that mat, you are a champion. You are my champion. You are my son and I love you more than you will ever know. You are and will always be my sunshine.  Keep shining His light. You were made for that purpose 














 

No comments: